Re: What the heck did emacs do with my email?

Joseph Barillari <jbarilla@princeton.edu> writes:

> If you can, you may want to suspend mail delivery when you do that, in
> case sendmail decides to write to the mailspool at the same time you
> do. (Incidentally, does anyone know a better way to lock a mailspool
> before appending messages to it?)

The "mail-lock" and "mail-unlock" commands from the "lockfile-progs"
package will lock and unlock a mailbox in a way that should be
compatible with all Debian mail programs.  Mail locks are considered
stale after about five minutes, so you need to finish your fiddling
within that time window or use "mail-touchlock" to keep the lock
fresh.  (See the mail-lock(1) manpage for more information.)

--
Kevin <buhr@telus.net>