Re: Check the update from Microsoft.

Dave Sherohman wrote:
On Wed, Mar 19, 2003 at 05:45:14PM -0600, Joseph A Nagy Jr wrote:

Dave Sherohman wrote:

On Wed, Mar 19, 2003 at 02:45:11PM -0800, Carla Schroder wrote:

A list manager that hides subscriber's addresses would be nice.

Umm...  Wouldn't that make offlist replies impossible?

If you want an offlist reply, you can set the reply-to to your addy. Otherwise all replies should go to list.

I disagree.  Replies should go where the person sending the reply
wants them to go, with consideration for any request which may be
made by the poster of the message being replied to.  Say, for

I disagree to the first and agree with the latter. First, part of the OSS movement (as I see it) is the sharing of knowledge. What good is a mailing list if knowledge isn't shared with the community. I might not have the same problem as you this very day, but sometime down the road you might have a similar problem and what worked for me might be worth looking into. If you're like me, you delete all discussions except the ones you are truly interested in. This where the beautfy of mailing-list archives come in. Someone's bound to remember that a similar problem happened some time ago and can tell you so. Then you can fruitfully direct your search efforts in the right direction instead of wasting valuable time googling.

instance, that you wanted to complain about my .sig - it may be a
reply to a list posting, but it's completely off-topic and absolutely
does not belong on the list.

Secondly, I know how to copy someone's email (even if it means writing it down with pencil and paper) and composing an email directly to you. Those who don't are either stupid or lazy (or perhaps both).

Also, disallow non-subscribers from posting.

Again, I disagree.  People who have problems with their debian
systems should be able to obtain help without subjecting themselves
to the hundreds of messages per day which are generated by this list.

There is the digested version of this mailing list, and I'm sure you could elect to totally not receive mail at all. I'm sure this would be an easy feature to implement, if I knew how to code I'd help with such a project.

--
http://mc-luug.homelinux.org
MC-LUUG Home Page