Re: Grip Causing System Lockup

On Tue, Mar 18, 2003 at 06:20:20PM -0600, Joseph A Nagy Jr wrote:
> nate wrote:
> >Joseph A Nagy Jr said:
> <snip>
> >probably not so much a grip problem as an I/O problem. Any way to
> >check the kernel logs on the machine? I'm thinkin they are getting
> >flooded with I/O errors, in which case there's not a whole lot you
> >can do, besides try not to use discs that generate such errors. Sometimes
> >a process that is recieving these errors can be killed, othertimes it
> >cannot. Really depends.
> >
> >but the symtoms  you describe are in my experience similar to generic
> >I/O errors which can be triggered by most any program accessing
> >the hardware.
> >
> >nate
>
> That is what I was fearing. :(

Did you try to renice it?
renice +20 pidof grip

Grip is just a wrapper around a bunch of other tools.  You might try
using cdparanoia (ripping tool) directly.  There are some command-line
options which may prove handy.

I once had serious slowdowns with grip and certain CD's  It was awhile
ago, but I think, (although I'm not sure) that it was at least in part
to scsi emulation on my cdrom drive.  If you're using the ide-scsi
kernel module, try disabling it while you rip those essential discs.
That's usually enabled/disabled via an "append=" line in your lilo.conf

more food for thought...
-troy