Re: default editor

On Thu, 20 Mar 2003 00:20:39 +0100 "Marco d'Itri" <md@Linux.IT> wrote:
> On Mar 19, Will Yardley <you@aredumb.com> wrote:
>
>  >Yes, but mutt (normally) obeys VISUAL if present - it's only the
>  >Debian package which seems not to.
> Maybe you think this because the debian package is a 1.5 snaphost, and
> handling of $EDITOR and $VISUAL has changed since 1.4 (something else
> needed to be fixed, maybe this broken something too...).
>
> I will *not* further discuss this with the mutt upstream unless
> somebody will provide reference to authoritative documentation about
> the correct semantics of $EDITOR and $VISUAL (I could not find any)
> and a patch implementing this.

The first relevant document I found was the tcsh manual page[1], which
states that:

       EDITOR  The pathname to a default editor.  See also the VISUAL
	       environment variable and the run-fg-editor editor command.

       VISUAL  The pathname to a default full-screen  editor.	See  also  the
	       EDITOR  environment  variable and the run-fg-editor editor com-
	       mand.

It is also my experience and belief that VISUAL takes precedence over
EDITOR for interactive editing.

I will have a quick look to see if there's anything else that agrees
with this point of view.

LINKS
[1] tcsh manual page
<http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=tcsh&apropos=0&sektion=0&manp