Slow printing with CUPS

[Please CC me to any correspondence]

I having been successfully using CUPS with Debian unstable
for many HP LaserJets (using networked JetDirect boxes)for
quite a while. Recently, I have noticed that the print jobs
take an extremely long time. Sometimes, on just a 5 page text
PDF, it can take up to 1.5 minutes per page. Whereas if I
print the same file from a Windows box connected (via the
network) to the same printer, the whole print job takes < 1
minute.

Has anyone else noticed this change in performance?

Joe S.