ignore the spam. don't reply to it.

* Jeremy Gaddis <jeremy@gaddis.org> [20030319 12:58 PST]:
> Got this message in my Inbox today, and it appears that it
> was sent to a bunch of subscribers to debian-user.  It had
> an executable file attached, q157498.exe, which is, of course,
> a virus, if anyone had any doubts.

The proper thing to do is silently ignore such messages.
Properly-configured filters such as spamassassin can do the proper thing
to the original messages.  The new nuisance is the thread of messages
that follow each spam, which don't get caught by the filters, and which
are hardly less on-topic or appropriate list traffic.

Yes, I realize the irony of this post.

good times,
Vineet
--