Re: Making PDF document in KWord

On Wed, Mar 19, 2003 at 10:12:04AM -0500, Alan Shutko wrote:
> Nathan E Norman <nnorman@incanus.net> writes:
>
> > You can create a PS document with TeX and then convert it to PDF
> > using 'ps2pdf'; the result is usually poor.
>
> Try making your ps file with dvips -Ppdf file.dvi -o file.ps .  That
> will use outline fonts for Computer Modern, which is probably what
> the problem is.

Uh, _I_ know how to create PDF documents that look just fine; I'm
trying to help the OP figure out why KWord creates crappy PDFs but PS
documents that look fine.  Please read the entire email before
replying.

You seem to have snipped the OP's problem and the part where I state I
have made PDFs that look decent.

> > Perhaps KWord is merely creating a PS document and then converting
> > it using 'ps2pdf'?
>
> Last I looked at it, KWord's PS output outputted PostScript Type 3
> fonts, which display poorly in Acrobat Reader.  I don't know if it
> still does this, though, I'd need to see a sample PDF from kword to
> tell.  (I don't have it installed.)

Clearly this is the problem.  Does KWord output TeX files directly?
Otherwise, how can the OP solve his problem?

[I don't use KWord]

  Warning: dates in calendar are closer than they appear.