Rant (was Re: X Window : Newbie)

Hi Paul

Did we have a bad night? I'm not used to hear such ranting from you...

Paul Johnson wrote:
Bad newbie!
How can you judge! You don't even know him!

1) You just asked the *SAME* question (or at least the same subject)
   30 minutes ago.  Do you honestly expect an answer at 4AM on a
   weeknight?
4am your time. This list works globally, and someone in another country could read this list in his coffe-break just by now. But ok, 30mins is a bit impatient...

2) Read some documentation occasionally!  Everything I've seen you ask
   could have been answered had you tried reading for understanding
   instead of just skimming it when things look hard.
You're right. But still it is non-intuitive that a regular user has not the rights to "startx" by default. man "XF86Config" and "man startx" won't tell you how to allow it to a normal user.

3) Stop posting everything you send with "Newbie."  This DOES NOT win
   you sympathy points of any kind; many people actually have procmail
   filter all subjects containing whiny subjects like "please help!"
   and "newbie" to /dev/null.  We don't care if you're a newbie or a
Some of those "please help" mails are very interesting, and occasionally those guys really need help. Please think again if you really want to use such a filter rule.

   net.ghod with 30 years Unix experiance; if you act like a retard,
   we'll treat you like one.  Likewise, if you post in an intellegent
   manner, we'll respond in a (hopefully) helpful manner.  If you want
   to act like a retard and get smart answers, go hire a consultant.
That won't help. If you are a retard, a consultant won't ever give you smart answers ;)

To prevent such tonguelashing in the future, please ask smart
questions.  Eric S. Raymond tells you just what the world expects out
of a call for help:

This is a good idea to read, indeed. But how should a newbie know this link?

Try to calm down, have a nice cup of tea, and make the best out of your day.

joerg