Re: Why use COPS?

>From Russell Shaw on Wednesday, 2003-03-19 at 14:59:01 +1100:
> Conrad Newton wrote:
> >>From Deryk Barker on Tuesday, 2003-03-18 at 13:26:51 -0800:

> >But I half suspect that the Epson Stylus Color 800 is less well
> >supported because it is an older printer.  The 850 and the C82
> >are more recent, so it is perhaps not surprising that they are
> >less problematic.
>
> The stylus color 400 is even older, and cups works perfectly with
> both the stylus 400 and 440 i've got, using the included cups ppd.

OK, so maybe I have a different problem.  The fact remains that
using two different computers and two different distributions
(Mandrake and Debian) I have twice experienced that CUPS melts
down completely, meaning that I although I can print a test page,
at some point an ordinary print job yields garbage on the page,
and although I kill the job and clean out the queue in /var/spool/cups,
I get mostly garbage thereafter.  I did everything I could think
of to clean out the system, short of completely reinstalling CUPS,
but the problems remained.

The only guesses that I could make---maybe both are wrong---
is that CUPS does not interact well with the old lpr-based
laptop on my network, or that it is unhappy with my long
parallel port cable (3m).  There was an explicit mention
of Epson and sensitivity to long parallel port cables in
the documentation.  But I do not see why I should have
to live with a problem of that kind, since I never had
it before.

I was enormously frustrated with these problems when they first
appeared, because my first impression was that CUPS was very
simple to set up and operate, and functioned beautifully.
I would use it if the problems had not occured.

Conrad