Re: Why use COPS?

>From Matthew Daubenspeck on Tuesday, 2003-03-18 at 11:27:12 -0500:
> On Tue, Mar 18, 2003 at 04:01:18PM +0000, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> > A preliminary attempt to set up CUPS was rather demanding and I'm
> > wondering if there is much point on a single-user system. Most of my
> > printing is quite straightforward (plain text and only occasional
> > images) and it works well with apsfilter or magicfilter, so is there any
> > reason to spend several hours trying to get CUPS to work? Any
> > significant advantage with that system?
>
> I could NEVER get CUPS working, but I will admit the setup is a bit
> strange. I have the local spooler collect jobs and route them to a bunch
> of HP JetDirect printers. Like I said, with CUPS, this never worked.
>
> I gave up, installed lprng and it worked within 5 minutes.

My only problem in setting up CUPS was that the drivers for my
printer (Epson Stylus Color 800) did not work.  I saw something
in the manual about difficulties with long parallel port cables
(mine is 3m), but this had never been a problem before.

I have tried to get CUPS working both under Debian and
under Mandrake, and both times I had the problem that,
sooner or later, the printer starts printing out garbage,
and I cannot get things working again.

Like you, I gave up and installed lprng (with printtool).
Now the printer is stable again.

Conrad