Re: [OT] boot CD from grub?

On Tuesday 18 March 2003 5:11 pm, Jens Grivolla wrote:

> I have a system that won't boot from (SCSI-)cdrom when any IDE
> harddrives are configured in the BIOS (yes, this is very definitely a
> bug).  This is somewhat annoying and I am looking for a workaround.
>
> As I do have a floppy disk drive I was thinking of booting Grub from a
> floppy disk and then chainloading on from the CD.  Unfortunately, this
> does not seem to be supported by Grub.  Has anybody found a way to
> make this work, or is there some other way to force booting from CD,
> bypassing the BIOS?

Well, supposedly GRUB can't boot a CD. Unless- and I have been meaning to try
this, why don't you go first- you map it to hd(something) in boot.map. Then
boot, passing in the root and kernel parameters.

I haven't tried it, but GRUB cannot tell one kind of drive from another, so
maybe it can work.

Another thought is replace the SCSI CD with an IDE drive.
--
Carla Schroder