Re: Detect DAT tape

On Tue, 18 Mar 2003, GBV wrote:

> How can I know if my DAT tape device is properly installed and configured?

I have a SCSI DAT tape on one machine, so I only have experience with a
SCSI DAT. When the machine boots up, you should see the SCSI adapter
driver print a list of the SCSI devices that it finds, one of which should
be the DAT. There needs to be support in the kernel for the SCSI tape
device 'st'. Once this is all OK then you can access a tape in the DAT
using the 'mt' command (do a 'man mt' to figure this out). You should be
able to tar some files to a tape and retrieve them in another directory to
verify that reading and writing the tape work OK.