Re: opengl on radeon

On Tue, 18 Mar 2003 05:44:08 -0500,
Herve Lombaert wrote:

> OpenGL always worked here on computers with ati radeon.

Just curious: Is that with the DFSG-free, native XFree86 drivers?
Or with some binary-only module from ATI?

> But since last month, where I had the OpenGL display, I now
> have a black display. For example glxgears still starts
> correctly with no error messages, but displays nothing. It's a
> black window.
>
> I've tried looking for an error message in the xfree log file,
> but it was not. DRI, GLX and others are all there as usual. I
> did not change the config files since it worked last month
> (actually, maybe it's broken for more than month, I'm not
> sure).
>
> I'm using Testing. Am I alone experiencing this problem?

You're not alone. I managed get hardware-accelerated opengl to
work with Debian's official X packages by downloading, building
and installing the unofficial packages from:

http://people.debian.org/~daenzer/dri-trunk/

There's a kernel module package that has to be built which cannot
coexist with the radeon.o driver included in the kernel (linux
2.4.19). You can either recompile the kernel without the said
driver or manually overwrite it. The kernel driver installs in:

/lib/modules/[kernel-version]/kernel/drivers/char/drm/

Having done the dance I now get:

$ glxgears
disabling TCL support
482 frames in 5.0 seconds = 96.400 FPS
500 frames in 5.0 seconds = 100.000 FPS

Surprisingly this is half as slow as when I didn't have DRI
(something like 200 fps). I suspect this has something to do with
the TCL stuff. When I hide the glxgears window I get:

11059 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2211.800 FPS