Re: Need Help:w/KDE3 unstable error message "can't start kdeinit" check your install

John Foster said:
> I just did a dist upgrade from a mixed system to pristine unstable :-) I
> deleted all od the /.kde stuff in both /home/mydir and /root after
> restarting the system when kdm stars it runs for about 3 seconds the
> splash screen with the KDE3 Liquid logo pops up then an error message pops
> up with the message that it "can't start kdeinit please check your
> install." This is the first time I have ever seen this message so any help
> is appreciated. Thanks!
> John Foster

start x using 'startx' instead of a display manager(if your using one)
and redirect the output to a log file

what I do:

startx >&X.log

the log file may show info on why it failed to start(e.g. command not
found, segfault or something)

also X logs stuff to /var/log/XF* but I redirect to a seperate log
out of habbit.

nate