[OT] starting damons as non-priv

1) How can you tell if a program is actually running as a non-privileged
user?

For example proftpd is configured to run as "User nobody" and "Group
nogroup" but when I do a "lsof|grep proftpd" "root" is listed as the
user.

proftpd   5884 root    0u  IPv4  20170 TCP *:ftp (LISTEN)

2) If I create an in house damon and have it owned by user "nobody" but
start it from a shell as root which user actually owns this process?

Pointers to docs would be appreciated.
Thanks,
kent

--
To know the truth is to distort the Universe.
                      Alfred N. Whitehead (adaptation)