Re: Best mp32ogg encoding/decoding

* Joris Huizer <joris_huizer@yahoo.com> [20030317 13:47 PST]:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I've just found something weird:
> I first tried to write a mp32ogg script using an
> mp32wav script I found (sorry I
> didn't write down the URL). This works great and the
> output's smaller than mp3s
>
> Then, today, I tried the mp32ogg at
> http://packages.debian.org/unstable/sound/mp32ogg.html,
> assuming such a program should be much better than my
> own silly script - but instead of that, it takes at
> least as much time, and the output is much bigger
>
> As an example:
> mp3 file           : 3.4M
> ogg file via script: 3.0M
> ogg file via prog  : 4.2M
>
> Anybody an idea why this is so?

I'd guess that your script and the mp32ogg script use different -q
values with oggenc.

Either way, transcoding from one lossy format (mp3) to another lossy
format (ogg vorbis) is going to give you bad quality.  I wouldn't bother
trying to "convert" mp3s into oggs.  Your best bet is to do all your new
encodings in ogg from the original source, and if you have mp3s for
which you don't have the original uncompressed source, just hang onto
the mp3s.

Of course, for certain audio files (speeches, etc.)  the sound quality
may not be that important, and the reduction in quality might not even
be noticeable.  But if you want decent quality music, fuggetaboutit.

good times,
Vineet
--
http://www.doorstop.net/