RE: 'apt-cache search' question

> > From the man page.
> > "Seperate arguments can be used to specified multi­ple
> search patterns
> > that are and'd together."
> >
> > 'apt-cache search server' and 'apt-cache search server ftp' produce
> > quite different amounts of hits, the space does not 'stop' it.
>
> OK, I may not have it right either.
>
> When I try to use more than one argument I either get <not
> what I want> or an error message that I must specify only one
> thing to search.

Well, something seems wrong to me, perhaps my understanding of what the
description is.

I am surprised that

'apt-cache search gimp GIF' produces nothing.

while

'apt-cache search gif | grep gimp' produces "gimp1.2-nonfree - GIF support
for the GNU Image Manipulation Program"

Children's Cancer Institute Australia is the only independent medical
research institute in Australia solely devoted to research into the causes,
prevention and cure of childhood cancer. Our vision is to save the lives of
all children with cancer and eliminate their suffering.
http://www.ccia.org.au