Re: DSL issue

On 2003.03.16 23:13 Craig Mead wrote:
Trying to get iiNet DSL working on my Debian box

Very confused as to whats happening. I've googled the error, a few
others have posted about it, but there are 0 replies.

Most sites just say, install Roaring Penguin, install, run adsl-setup
and then adsl-start. And it will work.

Any assistance in this matter would be HUGELY appreciated.

<SNIP>

Latest version of Roaring Penguin
DLink DSL-300 modem
2.4.18 kernel

From the DLINK site on the DSL-300

"The D-Link DSL-300 is an external ADSL modem that provides a single 10Mbps Ethernet port. With a windows based configuration tool, the DSL-300 allows users to easily modify settings to connect via G.lite or G.dmt ADSL depending on their DSL provider. The DSL-300 is capable of providing high speed Internet access and/or remote connection to an office LAN."

Firstly, I don't think you can configure your modem using the asdl utilities provided by linux. I think since this is an ethernet modem, it needs to be configured across the ethernet. The thing that concerns me is that the description says "windows based configuration tool". Does the manual tell you what ip addresses the modem defaults to on your internal lan? Probably you should set your PC ethernet card to DCHP?

If you know the ip address of the modem on your internal network, you might be able to telnet into it from your pc and configure if through the telnet interface.

Try telnet <ipaddress of DSL-300>

Actually in the on line manual it tells you that the configuration password is 'Admin', which seems to be accessable through the serial port using hyperterm! Once you have it linked up through the serial port it will tell you the ip address of the modem, through the serial configuration port.

Suggest you read the manual some more.

Regards