bug apt-get dist-upgrade

Hi,
I have a little problem with my debian, because of the apt-get dist-upgrade.
I have dist-upgrated my system. And when I have rebooted the computer, xchat could't be use.
So I attempt to remove the upgrade but it's was no possible.
So, I tried to install, a new time xchat. No too. Some errors appear like libgtk2.0-0 errors depends. So I thought at install a new kernel version like one of last i had downloaded, like linux.2.4.19,and the next versions of 2.4.18 have disappeared.
So I tried to install, by URL (kernel.org) a patch2.4-20 ... No too
Maybe the apt-get dist-upgrade have created some problemes. Can u help me ? or give me some help ? :)
hina