Solved: wireless lan broken after booting windows

Craig Genner wrote:
On Sun, Mar 16, 2003 at 06:01:03AM -0500, ronin2@bellatlantic.net wrote:

On Sun, 16 Mar 2003 11:28:12 +0100
Michael Zech <keldrin@web.de> wrote:

Hi everyone!

Till today my wireless lan worked fine. Yesterday I had to boot
windows (what happens about 3 times a year ;) and now the wireless
interface won't come up anymore.

Have you tried turning the computer OFF, waiting a few seconds, and then
restarting?

I'll second that recomendation.  Especially if your version is XP and
you've gone into hibernation.  When you set windows into hibernation is
some how 'steals' control of the network card (wireless or not) and wont
give it back unless you boot into windows and then shutdown properly.
[...]

Thank you for your help! I shut down the computer, waited for about one minute and then it worked again. What does windows do so that the device cannot be used until the computer got powered off? I think this is the next reason why I hate windoze ;)

@Craig: I did shut down windoze properly. The only thing I didn't do was power off the computer...

Michi