Re: Printers via SMB?

On Saturday 15 March 2003 11:21, Joseph A Nagy Jr wrote:
> Domain=[THE_MATRIX] OS=[Windows 5.1] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]
>
>          Sharename      Type      Comment
>          ---------      ----      -------
>          IPC$           IPC       Remote IPC
>          print$         Disk      Printer Drivers
>          SharedDocs     Disk
>          C              Disk
>          D              Disk
>          Printer2       Printer   Canon Bubble-Jet BJC-2100
>          Printer        Printer   EPSON Stylus Photo 785EPX
>
> I'd like to be able to use the Epson from my computer, but I haven't a
> clue on how to mount a printer. Do I point it to /dev/lpd or something?
>
> TIA

I used deselect and loaded stuff related to cups (search on "cup" like you
would in vi "/cup<CR>"; other have given methods using apt-cache

Then I used KDE-Control Center-System-Printing Manager; don't remember all
the steps but it involved using the wizard; I kept playing with cups until
the SMB option showed up (I loaded the cups client but not the server :-) at
first).

I am setting up an old sparc to run Samba.  Then I'll move the printer from
the W98 machine to the sparc.  Then we'll see if I can figure out how to
print from both Debian and W98.  No KDE wizards on the sparc :-).  I hoping
that Mr. O'Reilly will be helpful then.

Don't know if you have KDE control center available.  If you do, maybe it
will help you limp through the process like it helped me.

There were several print drivers available for my printer (Epson Color 850).
I found that a little confusing.  I tried each of them and found the one I
liked the best.

HTH a little,
--
Mike M.