Re: Source for 2.2.20 kernel

"Jeffrey L. Taylor" <jeff@austinblues.dyndns.org> writes:

> Quoting Paul Johnson <baloo@ursine.dyndns.org>:
>>
>> On Thu, Mar 13, 2003 at 10:51:14AM -0600, Jeffrey L. Taylor wrote:
>> > I'm missing something.  What is the name of the source for the 2.2.20
>> > kernel?
>>
>> kernel-source-2.2.20 if it's still actually in the distribution; it's
>> pretty ancient so it may be gone.  It's 2003, and Linux 2.6 is right
>> around the corner.  Lets kill off 2.2 already.  I've had good luck
>> with kernel-source-2.4.20...

FWIW, only 2.2 kernels support m68k.

>> > That's what comes as the default in woody and I want to tweak it.
>> > I can find headers, patches (what good are patches w/out source to
>> > patch?), ReiserFS and PCMCIA modules, but no source.  What gives?
>>
>> It's a two year old revision to a four year old, obsolete kernel
>> version?  What kind of support were you expecting when the rest of the
>> world moved on?
>>

> It is the default kernel on Woody.

Not exactly.  It's the default kernel for boot-floppies, so that's what
gets installed.  For whatever reason, the actual 2.2 kernel source
available in woody (2.2.22) got out of sync with boot-floppies.

> I expect source to it.  In fact, if source is not available, Debian is
> in violation of the GPL.

The source is available, just not in woody.

> Plus, benchmarks I have seen indicate that 2.2 runs better on older
> hardware, 486s in this case.  2.6 is available Real Soon Now.  I need
> to tweak the kernel today.  When I have that working, I will probably
> jump to the latest 2.2.x.  That's supposed to be one of the great
> selling points for Linux and Debian, no forced obsolescence.  You
> saying that's a lie?

It is true that Debian's packaging system tends to be extremely slow on
very old hardware.

--
I had no feelings about it.  It was aloof and licked itself too much.
Like my cat Mr. Trotsky.