Re: cups installation: Unable to read configuration file '/etc/cups/cupsd.conf' - exiting

On Fri, Mar 14, 2003 at 08:02:52PM +0100, iks_kzm wrote:

> Thanks for answer.
>
> On Thu, 13 Mar 2003, Jerome Acks Jr wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Mar 13, 2003 at 03:08:07PM +0100, iks_kzm wrote:
> > >

> > > I had problem with cups:
> >
> > Please don't break the text in you message into blocks by placing "--"
> > between the blocks. Some mail user agents (e.g. mutt) interpret this
> > as the start of a signature. It makes it difficult to incorporate the
> > text of your message in the reply.
>
> I am really sorry.
>

> > > During the installation I got the following message:
> > >
> > > "cupsd: Unable to read configuration file '/etc/cups/cupsd.conf' -
> > > exiting"
> > >
> > > and there is no file cupsd.conf in /etc/cups/.
> > >

> > > Then when I connect (using mozilla) to
> > > http://localhost:631/
> > >
> > > and then try to choose "Do Administration Tasks" or "Printers"
> > > I got :
> > > "Alert! The connection was refused when attempting to contact
> > > localhost:631."
> >
> > Connecting to http://localhost:631 will only work if cupsd daemon is
> > running. You will not be able to use web interface to administer your
> > printers until you get the daemon to run. Until then, you can
> > administer printers with the lpadmin program. Make yourself a member
> > of the "lpadmin" group to be able to administer printers without
> > becoming root.
> I think it is a bug in dselect or in cupsys debian package.
> I used 'dpkg -i cupsys...'
> and the package and cupsys-client and cups-bsd were installed.
>
> How one can make a user a member of the 'lpadmin' group?

# adduser your_userID lpadmin

> Still have problem:
> When I use the printer from NON-root account it seems that
> the configuration of the printer is NOT OK.
> E.g. when I print some picture (region filled with gray colour)
> it is printed as black but from the root account it is printed OK.

That sounds like a permission problem, i.e. permission or ownership of
some directory is not set properly, or user needs to be added to some
group to get write access priviledges to a device.

You have not mentioned anything about installing drivers for your
printer. You probably need to install one of these packages:
1) cupsys-driver-gimpprint,
2) foomatic-bin and foomatic-db, or
3) cupsomatic-ppd.

Do you have libcupsys2 and gs-esp installed?

Which version of debian/GNU are you using?

--
Jerome