Re: cups installation: Unable to read configuration file '/etc/cups/cupsd.conf' - exiting

On Thu, Mar 13, 2003 at 03:08:07PM +0100, iks_kzm wrote:

> I had problem with cups:

Please don't break the text in you message into blocks by placing "--"
between the blocks. Some mail user agents (e.g. mutt) interpret this
as the start of a signature. It makes it difficult to incorporate the
text of your message in the reply.

> During the installation I got the following message:
>
> "cupsd: Unable to read configuration file '/etc/cups/cupsd.conf' -
> exiting"
>
> and there is no file cupsd.conf in /etc/cups/.
>

> Then when I connect (using mozilla) to
> http://localhost:631/
>
> and then try to choose "Do Administration Tasks" or "Printers"
> I got :
> "Alert! The connection was refused when attempting to contact
> localhost:631."

Connecting to http://localhost:631 will only work if cupsd daemon is
running. You will not be able to use web interface to administer your
printers until you get the daemon to run. Until then, you can
administer printers with the lpadmin program. Make yourself a member
of the "lpadmin" group to be able to administer printers without
becoming root.

/etc/cups/cupsd.conf is in the cupsys package. It doesn't sound like
your installation is complete. Check this by running "dpkg -s cupsys".

--
Jerome