Re: Convincing someone to switch to Linux

On Friday 14 March 2003 08:06 pm, Roberto Sanchez wrote:
> The "solution" that they decided on (not yet implemented) is to keep the
> aging machines and purchase one new Dell machine with WinXP/OfficeXP.
> Their rationale:
>
> 1. Unwillingness to give up familiarity of MS Windows interface
>
> I explained that if that was the inly concern, we could install a Win9X
> desktop theme over whatever window manager we used.  I even demonstrated
> the import/export features of OpenOffice.org (to assuage another concern
> about not being able to open/use MS formatted docs).
>
> Their response: Oh well, that's nice, we are getting the new Dell.

I know this won't help, but think of it this way: If they knew better, they'd
be using something else.  They're sheep, following the flock.  It's a cliche,
but you can't argue with ignorance.  I'm saying that from over a decade
teaching the emotionally disturbed.  If people decide, "This is what I know
and I'm not giving it up," then you can't do anything about it -- other than
leave them in their ignorance.

You might (politely) point out, next time they get a virus that wipes out a
hard drive or e-mails confidential documents to people, that this would NOT
happen with Linux, but don't expect that to get you anywhere.  M$ has all of
America (fortunately the rest of the world is waking up and is not as easily
lead as us Americans) that Windows is the first, last, and only OS that will
ever do the job -- which is really a great feat for an OS with as many holes
as Windows has.

I hate to say it, but leave it be.  It's clear they won't listen, no matter
what.  They don't know about computers and are unwilling to trust you or to
take 5 minutes to learn a damn thing.

Do you really want to spend your time with people like that?

Just my thoughts.

Hal