libvorbis0a? in unstable

I notice that in the unstable distribution that libvorbis0 has become
libvorbis0a, and that libvorbis0a conflicts with libvorbis0.

This is causing "apt-get dist-upgrade" to want to remove a lot of my
packages, packages that I'd rather keep.

I gather this is to do with splitting libvorbisenc and libvorbisfile out
of libvorbis0, and that renaming libvorbis0 to libvorbis0a forces package
maintainers to update their dependencies to explicitly depend on
vorbisfile or vorbisenc if necessary.

Is this the only reason for the renaming? If I had libvorbis0a,
libvorbisenc2 and libvorbisfile3 all installed, would those packages
that depend on libvorbis0 still technically work, apart from the package
dependencies?

If this is true, could I create a meta-package, libvorbis0, that depends
on libvorbis0a, libvorbisenc2 and libvorbisfile3? I would have to change
libvorbis0a so that it no longer conflicts with libvorbis0, but that's
easy to do from the source.

So, what I'm planning to do is to "apt-get source libvorbis", update the
versions to 1.0.0-3.0.1, modify the control file so 0a does not conflict
or replace 0, add a libvorbis0 meta-package, build and install.

Will this work? (well, I'm going to try it anyway, but any feedback
from the list would be useful).