Re: Debian install with Promise ATA100

On Thu, Mar 13, 2003 at 11:43:27PM -0600, Donald Spoon wrote:
> The only problem I had was getting it to work "nice" with the MB's
> built-in IDE controllers.  The ULTRA100-TX2 cards HDs were detected as
> hde, hdf, hdg, and hdh.  The on-board controllers captured and held onto
> the hda-hdd HD ids, even if I turned them off in the BIOS.  The Linux
> kernel would still know they were there and use them!

I found this problem (though with a different card) to be soluble by
getting the BIOS to boot off the extra card. This depends on (a) the
add-in card having a BIOS of its own and (b) setting the right option
in the main BIOS, which was something not entirely obvious like "boot
from SCSI" which really meant "boot from additional HD controller card".

Pigeon