Re: Debian install with Promise ATA100

Adam Stroud wrote:
Where can I get the kernel modules to load at install time so that Deb can see my harddrives on my ATA controllers?????? I am new to debian so be nice :)

Cheers

Are you talking about the Promise ATA RAID controller (Fastrack100 TX2), or just their "Ultra100 TX2" controller card that supports 4 ATA 100 drives?

If it is the latter, I have a couple of them in Linux (Debian) machines and I didn't have to add any modules. The 2.4.18bf-4 kernel used for installs detected that card just fine. I have subsequently upgraded to the full 2.4.18, 2.4.19, and 2.4.20 kernels and all worked fine w/o any additional modules.

Can't help you on the RAID card..... never owned one.

The only problem I had was getting it to work "nice" with the MB's built-in IDE controllers. The ULTRA100-TX2 cards HDs were detected as hde, hdf, hdg, and hdh. The on-board controllers captured and held onto the hda-hdd HD ids, even if I turned them off in the BIOS. The Linux kernel would still know they were there and use them! There is probably a work-around, but it hasn't been a "problem" for me. I found out that you want to keep your CDROM hooked up to the on-board controllers IF you want to preserve the ability to boot off a CDROM!

HTH,
-Don Spoon-