Re: dselect, apt-get and unstable

On Thu, Mar 13, 2003 at 09:25:56PM -0500, ronin2@bellatlantic.net wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Mar 2003 19:00:38 -0800
> Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org> wrote:
> >
> > What tools you use for Debian archive access and what dependency
> > problem you encounter are orthogonal problem.  It is just an
> > impression you get when you use these tools in the default state.
>
> "Orthogonal" seems to be a popular word lately.

Independent, not-linked, un-related, ...

> Did you mean to say that dependency problems are not related to the
> tools used to install packages, and that different tools give us
> different information about dependency problems?

You are using APT system with different user interfaces after all (You
can defy this but that is beyond normal use).

dselect, apt-get, aptitude all get affected by /etc/apt/preferences

Some options (-t) are there to provide temporary values for
/etc/apt/preferences in apt-get.  Please read manual pages for
apt_preferences

If you set stupid combination or bad archive status, you will hit
problem with any tools.

Since newer interface tend to expose more of these underlying issues,
you become aware of the issues.

This is my super condensed picture.  I know I may not be accurate in
real details :-)
        Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org>   Cupertino CA USA, GPG-key: A8061F32
 .''`.  Debian Reference: post-installation user's guide for non-developers
 : :' : http://qref.sf.net and http://people.debian.org/~osamu
 `. `'  "Our Priorities are Our Users and Free Software" --- Social Contract