Re: dselect, apt-get and unstable

Hi,

I'm a new Debian user after using RedHat, lfs and my own small (and
thus
very incomplete) distro. I'm especially happy with the great packaging
system and the large number of packages which can easily be installed
using dselect. At first, dselect was a bit disorienting, but it
handles
dependencies nicely. However, I'm using the stable branch and I am
happy
with that except from the fact that I'd like to play AVI-files. So
that is
in unstable.

You can install mplayer for playing AVI files. Just add to sources.list

deb http://marillat.free.fr/ stable main

and do

apt-cache get mplayer-{your_architecture}

apt-cache search mplayer

will show architectures available.

Or you can download mplayer sources from
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/

there are also instructions how-to make yourself installable deb file.

Big deal. And it depends on the new libc6. Ok, no
problem.
But even if I don't select anything dselect, it wants to upgrade 244
packages, install 26 and remove 34 and leave 3 not upgraded. I don't
like
that. If I want to upgrade to unstable, I'll let dselect (or apt-get)
know. Now, I only want to install avifile-player and its dependencies
without upgrading my whole system. If it needs the new libc6, I'm
happy to
install that too. But not a whole bunch of other things just to let me
keep kword, for example. I couldn't get apt-get to work either, it
does a
better job not wanting to upgrade my whole system, but it will happily
remove all of koffice for me.

If you want something from testing or unstable branch you must use apt-pinning. Do

echo "APT::Default-Release \"stable\";" >>apt.conf

as root in /etc/apt, add testing or unstable sources in sources.list and then do

apt-get -t unstable install whatever_package_from_unstable_you_want

or

apt-get -t testing install whatever_package_from_testing_you_want

It will install the package with its dependencies, but when you do

apt-get upgrade

it won't pull all unstable or testing.

This configuration is quite usable (I am still using it at work). For more details read man pages for apt and apt_preferences.

Have fun!

Mpiktas