Re: ttf do I realy need to re-boot every time ?

-- dave selby <dave_arahan@yahoo.co.uk> wrote
(on Thursday, 13 March 2003, 01:55 AM +0000):
> Im using gimp, decided I wanted true type support so did the following ....
>
> installed xfstt
> copy ttf fonts to /usr/share/fonts/truetype/ directory
> /etc/init.d/xfstt force-reload
> It counts the correct number of fonts, all ok so far
> modified the /etc/X11/XF86config-4 file, adding FontPath "unix/:7101"
> re-booted X server, no new fonts
> re-booted system
> xlsfonts | grep ttf
> lists all the fonts
> Fonts appear in gimp menus, all work AOK
>
> Its the re-booting the system bit ....
> Every time i add *.ttf fonts to /usr/share/fonts/truetype/, I xfstt
> force-reload, it counts the correct number including the new ones, HOWEVER
> xlsfonts | grep ttf, and gimp only see the old ones till I do a complete
> re-boot.

No need to reboot, but you *do* need to leave X momentarily (unless
someone else can tell you otherwise). Once out of X, become root, and
run:

    /etc/init.d/xfstt restart

Which will restart the font server. Then start X.

--
Matthew Weier O'Phinney
matthew@weierophinney.net