SiS7012 and ALSA

 Hi all,

 I was wondering if anyone had any luck with getting SiS7012 to work
 with
 ALSA. This chip apparently has i8x0 chip that I wanted to try ALSA on.

 I have been trying but I kept getting message that /dev/dsp could not
 be
 opened: no such device. This was under kde. OSS driver (the one that is
 very alpha and  freezes with Q3A) works fine, until something
 spectacular is run such as Q3A.

 It appears that snd-pcm-oss is not used.

 debian:/home/davor# lsmod
 Module                  Size  Used by    Tainted: P
 ppp_deflate            39040   0  (autoclean)
 snd-pcm-oss            34816   0  (autoclean) (unused)
 snd-pcm                50112   0  (autoclean) [snd-pcm-oss]
 snd-timer               9920   0  (autoclean) [snd-pcm]
 snd-mixer-oss           9024   0  (autoclean) [snd-pcm-oss]
 snd                    25864   0  (autoclean) [snd-pcm-oss snd-pcm
 snd-timer snd-mixer-oss]
 soundcore               3844   0  (autoclean) [snd]
 nvidia               1466560  10  (autoclean)

 I do not understand why I cannot get any sound from this thing (apart
 from the reason that SiS7012 is not quite supported under version
 shipped with Woody (alsa version 9.0 rc-something).

 Driver used is intel8x0 of course.

 Here is my /etc/alsa/modutils/0.9:

 alias char-major-116 snd
 alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0
 alias char-major-14 soundcore

 alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0

 alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
 alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
 alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
 alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
 alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss

 options snd snd_major=116 snd_cards_limit=1 snd_device_mode=0660
 snd_device_gid=29 snd_device_uid=0

 options snd-intel8x0 snd_index=0 snd_id=CARD_0 snd_pbk_frame_size=80
 snd_cap_frame_size=80

 Source was compiled Debian way.

 snddevices script was run from source directory; modules were updated
 using update-modules.

 Have I done something wrong? Or is this SiS7012 thing just not meant to
 work? Any insight and/or suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

 TIA

 Davor