Re: Kernel panic: No init found.

On Wed, Mar 12, 2003 at 10:19:35PM +0100, Johannes Rohr wrote:
> Reid Mumford <reid@pha.jhu.edu> writes:

> > > try booting up with init=/bin/sh and see if you can get yourself
> > > a root prompt.  if so, you're golden.  you might need to
> > > reinstall some packages (like sysvinit), and i don't know what
> > > the easiest way is to find packages that might have corrupted
> > > files though.
>
> > no love from the init=/bin/sh option.

What you're experiencing sounds suspiciously like what happened to me
when I nuked by C library...

Fortunately, if you have the deb of libc6 around (on your install CD),
you may be able to recover.

> Than you're really bad off! Have you examined the contents of your /
> partition, e.g. from a recue CD?

Do this...

> What does it look like? Is /sbin/init there? Is it executable?

I suspect it will be.

Then: reinstall libc6... which you will probably have to do by hand as
I'm guessing that dpkg won't be working. Assuming that what is
normally your root filesystem is mounted on /mnt, and has a usable and
empty tmp in it, copy the libc6 deb from your install CD into /mnt/tmp
and then

cd /mnt/tmp
ar -x libc6_*.deb
tar xzf data.tar.gz
ls -l (so you can see what's just happened...)
cp -a lib/* /mnt/lib
cp -a sbin/* /mnt/sbin
(and so on for other relevant directories)
cd /
chroot /mnt /sbin/ldconfig

Then try the reboot... with a bit of luck (and if my diagnosis is
correct) you'll be up again.

Pigeon