Sendmail, TLS, and incorrect hostname

I recently added SASL and TLS support to my SMTP server. Looks to be working great, with one exception. My certificate was generated with the local hostname, instead of the proper FQDN (hostname was the common name of the machine, I need a cert for "smtp", since that's how my users connect). Result is that users configured for TLS get a warning that hotnames don't match.

I've started digging through the OpenSSL docs. Looks like all I need to do is regenerate the certificate interactively, and specify the desired hostname, overriding the default. Problem is, I'm not sure about any other switches I'll need.

Is there a "Debian-way" to do this nice and cleanly? Has anyone else run into (and solved) the issue?

Thanks for any ideas!

--Rich

Rich Puhek
ETN Systems Inc.