Re: Onboard rtl8139 works in 2.2 kernel but not in 2.4 kernel, please help

On Wed, Mar 12, 2003 at 07:07:22PM +0100, PeterG wrote:
> "Jonathan Matthews" <jaycee.removeifnotspam@jaycee.uklinux.net> schrieb im
> Newsbeitrag news:20030311214015$477f@gated-at.bofh.it...
> > On Tue, Mar 11, 2003 at 11:07:10AM -0500, Fraser Campbell wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > [snip rtl8139 problems]
> >
> > No idea if this is feasible here, but my favourite way of solving 8139
> > problems is to put a decent nic in the box (Intel EtherExpress, Tulip,
> > LinkSys - maybe, etc.) and ignore the PoS RTL.
> >
> > Seriously - drop £20-30 on a well thought-out nic and you'll not go far
> > wrong :-)
> >
> > Sorry if that's not a possibility in this case, but it's the simplest
> > and best way to deal with it!
> >
> > Cheers,
> >   jc
> >
> Hi,
>
> this cant´t be the solution.
>
> I´m suffering and going crazy about this problem.
>
> I have a 3com 3c905b!
[Please don't top-post]

I wasn't addressing the problem of the nic working in 2.2 but not 2.4
(I've had this myself with a few RTL8139's), but the more general
problem of using a RTL8139 at all.  Friends don't let friends use
Realtek nics!

IIRC, the OP had a problem with which driver (rtl8139 vs. 8139too) to
use - or if he didn't, he'd find that problem around the corner - which
I don't think is your problem, seeing as neither driver relates to your
card at all.

So - what problem are /you/ having?

> peter

  jc