Re: Software RAID and drive failures

At 2003-03-12T07:03:59Z, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> writes:

> 1. Tagged command queuing should order the reads.

Yes, but you still have contention in that a larger-than-normal chunk will
be read from file1, alternating with a larger-than-normal chunk from file2.

> 2. As a DBA, it seems to me that this possibility is irrelevant, since
>    the DBMS would have sucked those blocks (and their neighbors) into
>    it's cache after the 1st 1 or 2 db read requests.

Work with me here.  :)

>> Imagine, instead, that file1 and file2 are on a mirror.  The RAID system
>> could converge on the situation where the first drive is "dedicated" to
>> file1, and the second is "dedicated" to file2.

> Are controllers smart in that way?

I think, more likely, that they'd be stupid in that way.  That is, the first
drive's heads will be physically closer to a requested block from file1, and
similarly for file2 and the second drive.
--
Kirk Strauser
In Googlis non est, ergo non est.