Re: Software RAID and drive failures

Calyth wrote:
I'm no expert comparing to the other people here who've experimented the whole thing out, but I'd think that you might want to get at least 3 IDE drives and set up RAID 5 instead.

I'm no expert either nor I want to start a religious war ;) but...
RAID 5 had much more sense when the cost of disks was huge.

RAID 1 has better performance for reads and small writes, while RAID 5 is faster for large writes.

RAID 1 has the best redundancy, while RAID5 can take one failure for array (I wouldn't go over 5 disks for array).

Moreover to boot with lilo you need a small RAID 1 volume.

Massimiliano

--

Massimiliano Ferrero
Midhgard s.r.l.