PPPOE Failure on Verizon DSL

Hi,

I have been running pppoe over a Verizon DSL service for about a year and a half, and it suddenly has failed. I first noticed this a few days ago, and assumed the the connection hd timed-out (which it used to to, until I started to run Kmil, which makes periodic pop requests over the ethenet connection). Kmail was not running, and since I had never figured out to get pppoe running without rebooting, I decided to try to figure it out once and for all. The normal boot gets pptpd and ppp_on_boot (redirected to a dsl script) running. I restarted all these, but no luck.

Since then, I have not pppoe onnection when using the linux box. It is not a hardware issue, bucause we have a PowerBook running on this line, and the Debian box is dual boot to Win2K, which connects without any problems (so the NIC is working).

I have looked at all the configuration files, and none of them were modified recently, so I didn't accidently mess something up while poking around.

Does anyone know if Verizon (in Boston here) has made any modifications to their connection protocols recently?

Has the recent upgrade of tcpdump affected pppoe in any way? I could not find it installed on the Debian box at home, but I remember it being upgraded recently (probably here at work).

Thanks for any help,

JP