Re: Motherboard Madness

On Tue, 11 Mar 2003, Bill Moseley wrote:

> Proably the wrong forum, but trying to build a new Debian imap server.
>
> After spending a few hours the last few days researching motherboards I
> went to the local stop to pick up an Asus P4B-533-E (which they said they
> had on the phone).  Of course, they were out and said it was no longer
> available.  The ASUS site doesn't show that.

Indeed, and many places sell them.

> I'll be installing with a 2.4.18 or 2.4.20 kernel.  I'll be using a P4 2.4
> 533 FSB CPU.

The sweet point on cpu's seems to be the 2.4 or 2.53 ghz cpu's right now.

> There there seems to be a number of 845 chip sets, but I see a number of
> different ones:

<snip>

> Seems to effect what memory to use (pc2100 or pc2700) but I'm not sure how
> it might effect a Debian install.

http://www.intel.com/design/chipsets/sitemap.htm?iid=PCG+devleftnav&;

That has all the chipsets listed, and you can see what's unique about each
one.

Most of it is different speed built-in video, different memory speeds, and
different ram type support.

It's going to come down to performance a bit, unless you ended up with
PC133 in which case that's a major performance hit.

Onboard video is supposed to slow down your regular memory access as well.

> I'm looking for a basic board with NIC/video/LAN onboard.

No video onboard on that P4B533-E anyways, so you're "lucky" on that one
being out of stock.

The P4B533-VM has video onboard, optional lan.

I use the 533 on some of our servers, they work quite nicely.  With an
Antec 630II case, the cable layout is almost perfect.

I have one 533-E in use if I remember right.

The 533-E has a highpoint raid controller onboard.  Don't bother.

Spend the ~145 dollars, and pick up a 3ware 7000 or the 300ish for a
7500-4LP hardware raid card.  Very nice and easy debian support, and these
are fast.

the bf2.4 kernel doesn't support the onboard LAN on the 533-E, but a
2.4.20 and I think 2.4.19 kernel does just fine.

Mike