Re: apt-* notify for new packages ?

On Mon, 10 Mar 2003 18:11:56 Shaun Crossley wrote:
You might be interested in this script I came up with upon reading this
thread.  I called it apt-show-versions and placed it in /etc/cron.daily
(and made it executable via chmod +x).

[snip]

#!/bin/sh
# /etc/cron.daily/apt-show-versions: email alerts when new packages
# are available
#
# 2003-03-10, Shaun Crossley, shaun@whatever.ca

ADMINMAIL=you@example.com

/usr/bin/apt-show-versions -u | /usr/bin/mail -e \
     -s "`/bin/hostname`: updated packages available" $ADMINMAIL

Oh, and by the way -- please change the ADMINMAIL line to use your own email address. Otherwise you'd be notifying me about the packages your computer needs!

--

Shaun Crossley
mailto:shaun@whatever.ca