Re: Howto NFS shared writable space

On Mon, Mar 10, 2003 at 10:22:02PM +0100, R?mi Letot wrote:
> Now why is debian's default 022 if 02 is safe ?

Mostly because 002 is *not* safe if you don't go with the
one-user-per-group thing. Both debian.org machines and my workplace use
a single group for all users (which I happen to think is a pain, but
hey); the failure mode where somebody sets that up without realizing
that the default umask needs to be 022 is worse than the failure mode
where people end up with files that need to be group-writeable but
aren't, so Debian goes with the more generally safe default.