Re: Howto NFS shared writable space

Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org> writes:

> On Mon, Mar 10, 2003 at 12:12:29PM +0100, R?mi Letot wrote:
>> I'm trying to setup a shared disk space with NFS. Till then, no
>> problem. But I want that people belonging to a specific group can
>> write to it, and modify every file in it.
>>
>> So I made the exported directory belong to the group, put the sticky
>> bit on it, so every file created in it belongs to the group. No
>> problem. But the permissions on newly created files are g+r, and I
>> need g+rw so that everyone belonging to the group can manipulate those
>> files without problem.
>
> People creating new files in group-writeable locations should use 'umask
> 2' first. If you have a one-group-per-user setup (as is standard on
> Debian systems), then they can just set 'umask 2' all the time safely.

I considered that option, but was somehow uncomfortable about
it... Maybe the fact that debian's default is 022 made me cautious, or
I wanted to know if there was an alternative before changing a system
wide default. It feels strange to modify a system's default config
just for one directory, but it seems I have no other choice (except
creating a fat32 partition and mounting it with the right
parameters... :-)

Now why is debian's default 022 if 02 is safe ?

Thanks for your answer,
--
Rémi