Re: [newbie] Setting up network

On Tue, Mar 11, 2003 at 12:32:27AM +0200, Aryan Ameri wrote:
> Hi there:
>
> Untill now, I only got online using a dial up connection. Now i am going to
> dormitory, and in order to get online I have to connect to my dormitory's
> LAN. I can setup the network using the following two commands:
>
> ifconfig eth0 my.ip.add.ress up
> route add default gw my.gw.ip.address
>
> but it is so frustrating to issue these commands whenever I reboot my
> computer. I know there are ways to automate this proccess and there are
> progrms which setup the network on each boot. But I am not able to find out
> how. Can anyone please help?

Take a look at /etc/network/interfaces

try adding an entry like this: (don't touch the "lo" entries!)

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
	address your.ip.add.ress
	netmask your.ne.tm.ask   #probably 255.255.255.0 or 255.255.0.0
	network your.net.work.address
	broadcast your.broad.cast.address
	gateway your.default.gate.way

and then you'll find that it comes up and down when you turn your
computer on and off.

You can even take it up and down manually while the computer's on with
ifup eth0
and
ifdown eth0

HTH,