Logging/ Logrotate Problem

Hi,
i have set up my first debian server and everything runs
fine, for one week :-(. The machine stops working, logcheck
consums must of the cpu time, because daemon.log and syslog
have grown up to 1GB in size. I deleted them, but a few hours
later they have grown up to 10MB. Here are my questions:
1) How can i reduce the logging? Named, postfix and iptables are
   generating the most messages.
2) Why are some logfiles rotated via logrotate and others via cron?
   For example sysklogd is rotate via cron.weekly and i don´t know
   and which size the log is rotated and how many backups it keeps?
3) It is possible that all iptables messages are writen in one file?
4) What is /var/log/setuid.changes for?

Thanks in advance.

Stefan Drees.