PHP4 and OpenSSL

I'm having problems getting OpenSSL and PHP4 working (always get a "Fatal error: Call to undefined function: openssl_xxxxxx()...) and I am wondering if there is a Debian Package missing in my installation (or is there a PHP.INI setting missing/wrong). I used the Debian Package manager to install things on my Debian Linux machine. I have Apache 1.3.27, OpenSSL 0.9.7 and PHP4 4.2.3-11 installed.

I have no problems with other extensions (for example LDAP).

phpinfo() only shows me that OpenSSL was configured, shouldn't there be more info than this ? I would have thought so.

Are there any extra packages to install besides OpenSSL (can't find an PHP4-SSL package like there is a PHP4-LDAP package) ?

What am I doing wrong ?

Extra info - Debian version is Woody and I've used packages from "unstable" just because I needed PHP = PHP4.2 or higher for certain features.

I know this is more of a PHP question, but I have tried on the PHP mailing list to get info and so far without success.

John