Bash scripting

ARCH := $(shell uname -m | sed -e s/i.86/i386/ -e s/sun4u/sparc64/ -e
s/arm.*/arm/ -e s/sa110/arm/

I'm working on polishing my meagre shell scripting skills and would
appreciate some feedback on the line above, quoted from the kernel Makefile.

1. How would you use this in a straight bash script so it returned a value
containing the boxes architecture?

2. As far as comparisons go, if I wanted to determine if a string contained
".xyz" or ".abc" would that be a variant of the fragment above?

Thanks for any feedback...

Jeff Elkins
http://www.elkins.org