Re: Installing Intel compiler RPMs on Debian

On Sun, Mar 09, 2003 at 01:34:05AM -0600, Gary Turner wrote:
> Charlie Zender wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >What is the recommended way to install the Intel Fortran and C/C++
> >compilers on Debian? They come as a set of RPMs. The RPMs do not
> >install on my Debian system, because  there are no RPMs installed
> >on my Debian system so it can't find any pre-requisites:
> >
> >error: cannot open Packages index using db3 - No such file or directory (2)
> >
> >I suppose I could try to find where the RPMs want to install their
> >contents, and then try to install them myself manually.
> >This sounds dangerous and error-prone, however.
> >I gather this is a FAQ, "what to do when you have an RPM you want
> >to install on a Debian system?", but I could not find the answer.
>
> Google on "Installing RPMs on Debian HOWTO" yields a lot of hits.  The
> key is the package "alien".
>
> gt@koko:~$ apt-cache show alien
> Package: alien
> Section: admin
> Installed-Size: 212
> Maintainer: Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org>
> Architecture: all
> Version: 8.24
> Depends: debhelper (>= 3), perl (>= 5.6.0-16), rpm (>= 2.4.4-2),
> dpkg-dev, make, cpio
> Suggests: patch, bzip2, lsb-rpm, lintian
> Filename: pool/main/a/alien/alien_8.24_all.deb
> Size: 113412
> MD5sum: ac232fe4e3ef90229f48c5522e005297
>  Alien allows you to convert LSB, Red Hat, Stampede and Slackware
> Packages
>  into Debian packages, which can be installed with dpkg.
>  .
>  It can also generate packages of any of the other formats.
>  .
>  This is a tool only suitable for binary packages.
>
> HTH

FWIW, sometimes it is better IMO to turm RPMs into TGZ format; then
you can put the stuff in /opt or /usr/local.  I never ever install
anything into directories reserved for the packaging system unless it
came from a deb created by a debian maintainer, a deb created by
someone I trust, or a deb created by me.  I do not trust debs created
from rpm packages.

My 2 cents ..

  We're sysadmins. Sanity happens to other people.
          -- Chris King