Re: Bad Debian (L.A.H.)

> The book sucks, would not dare to say so, since there is a forword by
> Linus himself. ...
>
> My mail originated mostly out of disbelief, i've been using Debian/GNU
> Linux on and off for the past couple of years and have successfully
> switched to linux since the past year or so. In my experience Debian is
> solid and well maintained, and then one reads a phrase like that.

Your experience for what works for you is going to mean a lot more than
what Linus thinks is a good idea.  And, it's going to mean a HELL of a
lot more than something written next to something that Linus wrote.

Linus may be the guy who started Linux, but he's just a guy.  Everybody
who likes Linux doesn't have to agree with him on all things; I'm sure
you could find many devoted Linux users who consider his judgement
suspect on any number of isuses.  The Stamp of Authority doesn't really
mean much in the Linux or Free Software worlds.  What works does.

You've found that it works.  Then you read somewhere that has Linus'
name near it that you shouldn't think it works.  Which are you going to
believe?  Your own experience, or the heresay that's got a Stamp of
Authority somewhere near it?  Which really matters?

-Rob

--
-=-=-= Rob Knop =-= rknop@pobox.com =-= http://www.pobox.com/~rknop =-=-=-
     Help the EFF protect basic freedoms online: http://www.eff.org