Re: buy or build computer?

> About your question. I have thought of building my own machine too,
> but never got around to it. I was allways scared by the sheer amount
> of possible audio and video cards and so on. I am not a hardware
> hobbyist, so how do I know I would make the right choices and not get
> incompatibles?

Ask around.

There are some really quick answers.  If you want something that "just
works" and isn't going to be a headache, get an es1371 audio card.  For
video, if you can use Debian testing get a Radeon 7500.  (XFree86 4.2
has 3d support for that.)  If you'd rather use Debian stable (which only
has X 4.1), then get a Matrox G450, which is fully 3d and such supported
by X 4.1.

If you must have absolute latest high-end performance in either, then
ignore what I just said.  But if you want something reasonable that
works, there you go.

-Rob

--
-=-=-= Rob Knop =-= rknop@pobox.com =-= http://www.pobox.com/~rknop =-=-=-