Re: Newbie questions

On Sun, 9 Mar 2003 20:43:24 +0100
Inge Thorin Eidsaether <webdude@phreaker.net> wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> I'm a newcomer to Debian from FreeBSD, and have a couple of questions
> some of you guys may know the answer to:
>
> 1 - I keep getting console messages about
>     'eth0: link up, 100Mbps, full duplex, lpa 0x41E1' and
>     'eth0: link down'. These two messages alternate regularly.
>     When the link is down, of course I cannot connect to anything.
>     Also, how do I avoid getting these annoying messages?

I get that result when trying to use a 10/100 NIC with a 10/100 hub or router. Both the NIC and the hub/router are trying to auto-negotiate the speed and mode, and they just pointed fingers at each other without agreeing to anything. I found I needed to force my NIC to 10Mbps and half-duplex to make things work.

In order to force the NIC to use a particular mode, you need to pass an option to the pcnet32 module when it loads. I looked a while for the syntax but didn't find it. Perhaps someone else here knows.

Kevin